Try this refreshing spin on a traditional cold tomato based soup. Watermelon gives this tasty soup even more flavor along with healthy, vitamin-rich ingredients.
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 cucumber
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub watermelon, cucumber and jalapeño pepper with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Gently rub onion, garlic and cilantro under cold running water.
- Slice watermelon and then remove the red part of watermelon from the rinds. Remove seeds and cut watermelon into cubes. Set aside.
- Peel cucumber and onion and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Peel garlic and mince. Chop cilantro and measure ¼ cup. Set aside.
- Remove seeds from jalapeño pepper and chop finely. Set aside. Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of cubed watermelon, 1/2 of chopped cucumber and 1/4th cup cilantro; set aside.
- Process 2 tablespoons chopped onion, and remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender until puréed.
- Transfer all ingredients except cilantro to a large bowl and stir. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, top with optional ingredient cilantro or extra onion or cucumber to taste.
- Try serving with our Yeast Free Skillet Flatbread.
Recipe source: MyPlate.gov