Let the family help you prepare dinner tonight! As the eggplant is being sliced, someone else can spread sauce on top of each slice, and a third person can sprinkle each slider with cheese and breadcrumbs. Yummy and quick preparation, too!
For the sliders:
- 1 eggplant
- non-stick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, low sodium
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (just a dash!)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Slice eggplant into thick slices. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and arrange eggplant on baking sheet.
- Combine crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Top each eggplant slide with 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese and 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs on top of each slider.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Make this recipe when eggplant is in season, usually summer and early fall.
- Select small, smooth, and shiny eggplants that feel heavy for their size.