Enjoy the natural sweetness of fruit with some of these tasty desserts. You get all the benefits of vitamins, minerals and fiber from the fruit while enjoying flavorful and colorful treats.
This coffee cake would be a perfect dessert at brunch, as an afternoon snack alongside our delicious hot drinks or as a treat after dinner.
- 5 cups tart apple ( cored, peeled, and chopped)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly oil a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine apples with sugar, raisins, and pecans; mix well. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Stir in oil, vanilla, and egg. Sift together flour, soda, and cinnamon; stir into apple mixture about 1/3 at a time, just enough to moisten dry ingredients.
- Turn batter into pan. Bake 35-40 minutes. Cool cake slightly before serving.
This recipe is very simple and the perfect amount of sweet to put a finishing touch on your meal.
- 4 medium pears
- 3/4 cup 100 % orange juice
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Peel the pears and cook in a double boiler for 15 minutes.
- Mix sugar and orange juice and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Place steamed pears on individual plates. Pour ¼ juice mixture over each and serve.
Celebrating a special occasion or just want to treat yourself? Top your favorite fruit with this fudgy sauce for a “knock your socks off” dessert.
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 large bananas (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 8 large strawberries
- 1/4 cup peanuts (chopped, unsalted)
- Place chocolate chips in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 10 seconds and stir. Repeat until chocolate is melted, about 30 seconds.
- Wash strawberries under running water and pat dry.
- Place fruit on a small tray covered with a piece of waxed paper. Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate on top of the fruit.
- Sprinkle the fruit with chopped nuts.
- Cover the fruit and place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or
until the chocolate hardens. Serve chilled.
Looking for a dessert for one? Grab a mug and enjoy this fun, yummy dessert that is loaded with flavor and a secret ingredient (zucchini).
- 3 tablespoons zucchini
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Optional: Mix in semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Shred the zucchini with a grater and pat it dry with a clean paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add all of the ingredients except the zucchini in a microwave-safe mug. Mix with a fork.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips (optional).
- Cook the cake in the microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds. Then, carefully take it of the microwave to see how close it is to looking like a regular cooked cake. Different microwaves may require more cooking time. If the cake needs more time, put it back in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time until it is cooked. Cooking it in intervals helps prevent overcooking and drying the cake out.
- Allow cake to cool a few minutes before eating and then enjoy!
Your children will love making these desserts with you. For more information on learning how to get your kids to help in the kitchen, visit our blog on Getting Kids Involved in the Kitchen.
Written by Leslie Davis, MS, RDN, LD, CDCES | Edited by the Nutrition Education Team
Posted February 5, 2021